Thursday, October 11, 2012

Someday My Prince Will Come...maybe.

I'll be honest, I have a massive problem with Disney films and their portrayal of men.

Now, as a female I can admit to a certain Disney film being my favorite film of all time, but I am not proud of it, and will rarely admit it to anyone in the 'real' world. Not because I am ashamed, but because it makes me look like a massive romantic sap...which I also am but that is besides the point.

There are reasons for this, mainly in that us women grow up learning and hoping that one day, a Prince will come and sweep us off our feet, we will get taken away in a beautiful carriage, have talking animals and live happily ever after in a castle.  When in reality, you'll be lucky if you end up with someone remotely sane, with a Ford Mondeo and even then they'll probably run for the hills when they find you singing with your animal friends.

These men may be royalty but even they aren't perfect. A delightful example of this is Prince Charming, how drunk was he not to remember what Cinderella looked like? He spent long enough gazing into her eyes as they waltzed across that impossibly large ballroom. Plus, she left a shoe behind, who does that? I would go back for that shoe, it was literally 2 steps away, and she spent that time dithering about anyway. No man in 2012 would search for you with a shoe, you'd probably get a Craigslist ad, or if he was really bothered a Facebook group/twitter hashtag and he'd forget all about it after 2 pints the next Saturday.

AND they never have anything but perfect hair. If I was a servant/mermaid/soldier/going just around the river bend, my hair would be all over the shop. You can forgive Sleeping Beauty, she didn't move. 

We spend so long searching for 'perfect' when perfect doesn't exist. So does that mean we are all settling, but settling because we can't achieve the unachievable?

For one, chick flicks would be a lot more boring without the happy ever after.

Life would be a lot easier if we were penguins.

No comments: